What does a School Social Worker do?
School Social Workers are people who you can turn to when you need some help. They are good listeners, and they want to help you get the most out of school. School Social Workers help students handle all types of problems.
For example, they can help if a student is:
- Struggling in math and needs some extra help
- New to the school and doesn’t have any friends yet
- Being bullied at school
- Upset about a family problem, such as divorce or death of a loved one
- Having trouble concentrating on homework
- Having friendship troubles & MUCH more…
If you are going through any type of problem, a great person to share your thoughts and feelings with is your School Social Worker.
School Social Workers also support students and their families with:
- referrals to outside agencies for ongoing counselling
- registering for life enrichment programs such as anger management
- filling out funding applications for sports and after school activities and summer camps
- helping families access food when times are really tough
- helping students get access to winter gear, shoes, backpacks and school supplies
- connecting families to resources within the community that help with everyday life and MUCH, MUCH more!
Mrs. Kaley is at Westview every day of the week except for Tuesdays. You can reach her by phoning Westview Public School or by stopping in for a visit.
School Social Worker Resources
SRPSD School Social Work Forms
Addiction and Mental Health Services